Saturday, April 2, 2011

Janette: Par 55-58 - lifestyle of true devotion and considerations in re: priests

I am first thinking of the WEDDING DAY today!  Oh, happy day!!!! All glory be to God in the day and in the witness of the marriage itself throughout the years!  Congratulations, Ruth, mother of the groom!

This book blog has been fuel for one of the deepest Lenten seasons I have entered and lived - for I have recognized a deep chasm of where I am - and where I am to go.  Rather than panic I hold peace.  Thank you, Mary, for allowing the graces of the Peace of Christ to enter... and rest in my soul.  Thank you to all in this group for your heartfelt insights and challenges!

Par 55: "...God wishes that His holy Mother should be at present more known, more loved, more honored than she ever has been."  The soul that senses this must be dedicated to this as a LIFESTYLE.  St Louis unfolds the benefits of living in this way of true devotion - Pg 50-51 - Fr Harlow delineates them - the pinnacle, of course, is a "greater focus on Jesus".

Par 56-58:  Emphasis on priests as especially chosen as apostles of Mary.  This section is RICH, RICH, RICH!  Priests submitting to greater purification will benefit with greater union with the Lord and His Will - and "kindle the fire of divine love everywhere". Their preaching will gain a missionary zeal.  A priest obtains special graces from Mary and enabled to preach with a 'new tongue', unveiling the Word of God and the Word-made-Flesh.  Mary forms him differently due to a priest's unique mission and also his unique comformity to Jesus.  There is an ensuing charism of miracles and a new power in priestly work. All this due to the Holy Spirit recognizing a priest who is dedicated to Mary - and thus wants to reside and act in that soul more fully (recurrent theme). There is so much more in these paragraphs...

 A summary line by Fr Harlow (pg 53): "The priest's soul having already gone through the ontological change at ordination in order to be 'in persona Christi' now receives additional graces through his consecration to Jesus through Mary such that Mary protects his priestly identitiy as much as she protected the life of Jesus in His infancy."

Thus my greatest support to any priest? Continued encouragement to be consecrated to Jesus through Mary - and prayer to enliven that lifestyle of true devotion.  When I experience disillusionment by a preist's action or words - may I begin my prayers in seeking the counsel and help of Mary - and trusting the unique and specific formation she desires for each of her priest-sons.  Holy Mary, may your tender and knowing motherly ways continue to form holy and generous priests for the good of the Church.  Amen.

1 comment:

ruth said...

Thanks, Janelle, for the thoughts and prayers. It was an awesome day. I felt sooooo blessed. I was so thankful that it was a full Catholic wedding that Bryan and Heather wanted and I had so many family and friends in attendance. I was almost in awe of how blessed I felt. I can't even describe it in any other words.