Friday, May 6, 2011

Ruth: Par. 119 Constancy and Dying to self

As I have mentioned before, I am reading this second book on True Devotion because I have to have a focus in my spiritual life. Not read this author and that like I usually do. In par. 119 in the author's notes he states, "The key to constancy in this devotion will be the habitual exercise of doing all things by-with-in-for Mary in order to do them by-with-in-for Jesus, ..."  This constancy is what I am being called to so this really jumped out at me.
Later in this section the author writes, "These passive purifications are necessary in order for one to die to self and to grow spiritually."  That is a reminder I always need and am so thankful that I frequently hear from the pulpit.
Oh, Mary, help me to die to myself, my desired, my sinfulness, my self-centeredness and to live for-with-in the heart of Jesus.

2 comments:

Corrine said...

Ruth,
I'd also highlighted that sentence in par. 119. "Habitual exercise"...and I used to think I was a disciplined person. I need to begin again, and again, and again! ...As Jesus began his way of the cross again and again and again.

Janette said...

Corrine -
Something 'clicked' when you commented about comparing our trilas and re-starts to Jesus beginning His way again and again and again.Grace has just been applied where needed. Thank you for this insight!